Are you guilty of often neglecting core exercises in your training routine? We’re going to give you reasons why not to, and why core exercises are an important part of a well rounded fitness program. Did you know that your core muscles include more than just the abdominal muscles? They are the muscles around your trunk and pelvis including pelvic floor muscles and your glutes. It is the core of your body, and building those muscles will benefit you for the rest of your life. They play a central role in everything you do, every movement you make stems from your core, since every muscle in your body is connected to the ones in the core.
- Core exercises improve your balance and stability. Core exercises train the muscles in your pelvis, lower back, hips and abdomen to work in sync. This leads to better balance and stability. This can improve your performance on the field playing sport or in daily activities. Every time you walk on uneven ground or stand in one place, you use your core muscles to keep you there. The stronger those muscles are, the less likely you are to fall over.
- Core exercises don’t require special gym equipment. Any exercise that involves the use of your abdominal and back muscles in coordinated fashion counts as a core exercise. For example, maintaining a stable trunk can train and strengthen several of your muscles including your core muscles. You may also try different specific core exercises to stabilise and strengthen your core. E.g – planks, sit ups, crunches and hip raises.
- Strong core muscles make it easier to do most physical activities. Strong core muscles make it easier to do many activities, such as swing a golf club, reach for a glass from the top shelf and bend down to tie your shoes. Strong core muscles are also important for athletes, such as runners – as weak core muscles can lead to more fatigue, less endurance and injuries.
- Strong core muscles will help improve your posture. If your core is weak, you’re more likely to slouch over, since it’s harder to keep yourself upright. Good posture is better for your spine, prevents back pain and allows you to breathe easier.
- A strong core will help you look slimmer! Even if you never get six pack abs, a strong core will help you stand taller and straighter, making you look instantly slimmer. The inner muscles of the core help tighten your stomach and give you a smaller waistline.