Vitamin D – also known as the sunshine vitamin because it’s produced in your skin in response to SUNLIGHT! Your body produces it naturally when it’s directly exposed to sunlight. You can also get it through certain foods and supplements to ensure adequate levels of the vitamin in your blood. Vitamin D’s most vital functions are regulating the absorption of calcium and phosphorus and facilitating normal immune system function. If your body doesn’t get enough Vitamin D, you’re at risk of developing bone abnormalities such as soft bones (osteomalacia) or fragile bones (osteoporosis). Here are 5 more benefits of Vitamin D.
- Vitamin D fights disease – reduces your risk of MS, decreases your chance of developing heart disease and reduces your likelihood or developing the flu.
- Regulates insulin levels and aid diabetes management
- Vitamin D boosts weight loss – In one study, people taking a daily Calcium and Vitamin D supplement were able to lose more weight than subjects taking a placebo supplement. The scientists said the extra calcium and Vitamin D had an appetite suppressing effect.
- Supports lung function and cardiovascular health
- Vitamin D reduces depression – It can play an important role in regulating mood and warding off depression.