Ever tossed up whether to start exercising in a gym or outdoors in a park? There are so any differences in how your environment affects your workout.
PROS & CONS OF OUTDOOR TRAINING
- PRO: Vitamin D intake. Our bodies need Vitamin D to absorb calcium for strong bone growth.
- PRO: More strenuous, longer workouts. Outdoor runners flex their ankles more due to different surfacing than treadmill runners. Cyclists are also shown to burn more calories when riding outdoors.
- PRO: Improved mental wellbeing. Training in natural environments decrease levels of cortisol (stress hormone) and greater feelings of revitalisation and less feelings of depression and anger.
- CON: Exposure to the elements. Such as rain, hail, freezing cold and strong winds which is all out of your control. But if outdoor training if your go- to then you need to be prepared for any type of weather.
PROS & CONS OF INDOOR EXERCISE
- PRO: Controlled environment. Training in a gym means you have air con and heat and light. Escaping to the cleaner air may be a blessing for anyone suffering from allergies, asthma or any respiratory problems.
- PRO: Access to more fitness equipment. You can’t really pack a squat rack or cable machine in your car with you for your outdoor workout. We also have access to spin bikes in our gym at the Mount Waverley location.
- PRO: Access to saunas, showers and spa’s. This can make any exercise experience feel a lot more luxe.
- CON: Home workouts on your own can be distracting. Neighbours, mail, pets, children and mobiles can all be so distracting on the most well- intentioned program.