Hope you are all having a great week, despite the absolutely artic conditions. It cannot be denied that Winter is well and truly upon us and in between the torrential rain, icy wind, freezing mornings and dark evenings; we’re here to brighten your week with some fitness motivation. This week’s column is about Winter and it’s challenges, how best to manage them to ensure that you continue your fitness regimes and remain balanced and healthy with your eating.
Winter Exercise Tips:
1. Always have a backup plan so you training routine isn’t dependent on the weather – can’t run outside? Then do a mini session in your lounge room such as:
20 push ups
20 sit ups
20 squat jumps
20 dips (off coffee table)
50 mountain climbs
REPEAT x4 and time yourself to do as quickly as possible
2. If you are going to train outdoors, make sure you have appropriate training gear – i.e. weatherproof running jacket, compression tights, gloves etc. Keep rugged up and remain warm as best you can during all parts of your workout
3. Think about your pre-session preparation – can you warm up and somewhere inside first? Focus on big dynamic movements to get joint and muscles engaged, try and get the heart rate up to get blood pumping. Try 30sec of knees up, 30sec of mountain climbs, 30sec of star jumps and 30sec of arm windmills – REPEAT X3 – this is a 6min warm up and after this you should be ready and raring to go!
4. Don’t neglect the post-session recovery – if you’ve been out somewhere cold, get in to a warm shower immediately. Stretch in the shower and utilise the heat to keep your muscles supple
5. Always start the day with a hearty warm breakfast – a popular option at the moment in the Results in Motion team is the oats recipe below – SO GOOD, try it!
6. Most importantly remember that the rain won’t hurt you and if you’re training at a decent intensity you shouldn’t feel the cold – believe in yourself and your ability to push past these conditions. You CAN go for a run in the rain, you CAN still train in 5 degree weather, you’ve just got to be smart about it and utilise some of the tips above. Nothing beats a crisp Winter morning so get out there and get some fresh air!
Hearty (and delicious) Winter Breakfast:
30-40g rolled oats (depends how hungry you are!)
2/3 cup almond milk (any milk will do though)
½ serve vanilla protein powder (optional)
Sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg
Microwave for 3min, making sure to stir every minute
Then the best bit: top with a tablespoon of peanut butter and let it ooze through your porridge – trust us, it tastes like a nutty banana cake!
So face Winter head on this week – amp up your training utilising these tips and really challenge yourself to get out there and give it a go. Remember the healthier you can stay across these cold months, the better condition you’ll be in come Summer, and the less chance you’ll have of picking up every cold and flu floating around. Have an amazing week and keep warm!