SAVORY OATMEAL WITH CHEDDAR AND FRIED EGG
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 1
- 1/4 cup dry quick-cooking steel cut oats
- 3/4 cup water
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded white cheddar cheese (add more if you like)
- 1 tsp coconut oil, divided
- 1/4 cup diced red pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1 large egg
- chopped walnuts
- sliced green onions
- za’atar (or any other spice blend)
- Stove Top Method: Bring water to boil. Add oatmeal, reduce heat a little and let it cook for about 3 minutes, until all liquid is absorbed. Turn off heat and stir in cheese, a small pinch of salt, and pepper.
- Microwave Method*: Place oats and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Line microwave dish with paper towels to catch any spills. Microwave at a high setting (but not the highest, about 8/10 power setting) at one-minute intervals for a total of 3 minutes. If you want a softer texture, continue microwaving at 30-second intervals. Give the oats a little stir between intervals. When the oatmeal is done, stir in shredded cheese, a small pinch of salt, and pepper.
- Heat a nonstick pan with 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until they soften. Spoon vegetables over cooked oats. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon of oil and fry egg. Cook until the whites are no longer translucent and serve over oatmeal.
- Top with chopped walnuts, green onions, and za’atar, if you like.