Oh yes! Oh yes! We can all feel it coming – that Easter public holiday run is within our reach! YAY for Good Friday and Easter Monday – BRING ON the long weekend hey? Can you believe that we are already celebrating Easter (I am aware that Woolworths and Coles have been stocking shelves with hot cross buns since Jan 1st but STILL!)?! Extra days off work and holidays aside, Easter tends to illicit complete and utter panic in personal trainers and can be a complete undoing of all your good work to date of you’re not mindful of sugar/calorie intake. In our experience, Easter can sometimes be a more devastating time than Christmas for falling off the bandwagon. At least with Christmas you are having lots of scrumptious meals – cold cut meats, exquisite salads, roasts, vegetable and general abundance of varying food groups…. Easter- not so much. To me, Easter screams hot cross buns, chocolate eggs, chocolate bunnies, more hot cross buns and definitely even more chocolate eggs! High sugar, high fat combined with potential high alcohol intake = FULL SCALE EASTER CHUBBIES!!!
So what can you do to prevent a landslide of epic proportions? I have listed some tips below that help me “keep it semi real” across this time of the year, and also some food facts that you may or may not (or maybe CHOOSE not) to be aware of!
- Beware the bunny! The total number of grams in chocolate bunny can be quite disturbing. For example if you consume a medium-large size Cadbury Bunny, you have almost consumed the equivalent of a family block of chocolate.
- Even more so…. Beware the mini Egg – 4 mini solid chocolate eggs is equivalent to half a normal chocolate bar #devastation #whaddaymeanIscoffed20!!!!!!
- Hot Cross Buns – on average are about 200 calories – if you consume 6 of these in one day you have basically eaten your entire calorie intake.
- If you are drinking this Easter, pick one night out of the 4 day period, and enjoy it – keep it decent the other 3
- Do NOT overbuy chocolate for friends and family, the last thing you need is to be stuck with a stack of Easter gifts that you didn’t end up giving – you will inadvertently add them to your own stash. Trust me.
- Commit to 2 out of the 4 days to train – you will not only burn off some of the excess sugar, but you will also feel better about yourself.
Have a brilliant Easter, but remember it’s not an all access pass to go completely psycho on chocolate!